Suchergebnisse

Suchergebnisse 1-20 von insgesamt 32.

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Seite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies setzen. Weitere Informationen

• Re: Oecophylla smaragdina

andie215 - - Einzeilerfragen & Sonstiges

Beitrag

Sorry this is in english but i recently bought a colony of about 50 workers plus brood from here myantshop.com/ I know he dosent have any at the moment but he will in the future, if you can wait, plus he does several different size colonies. Mine are doing fine at the moment.

• Re: *Cataglyphis cf. desertorum

andie215 - - Cataglyphis

Beitrag

Plenty of larvae and cocoons now scattered around the nest. I have recently moved the ants into a smaller enclosed glass arena, the humidity is much higher now so i'm wondering if this has been the cause of the increase in activity. P1020078.jpg edit Antfriend: Translation/Übersetzung: Momentan sind zahlreiche Larven und Puppen im ganzen Nest verteilt. Kürzlich habe ich die Tiere in ein kleineres, geschlossenes Glasbecken umgesiedelt. Dadurch ist die Luftfeuchtigkeit jetzt wesentlich höher und i…

• My colony is growing slowly with over 20 workers now. They will accept crickets , blue bottles and blatta lateralis put prefer to take them when chopped in half. They only take protein once or twice a month which seems to be all they need at the moment, and can be seen picking on the carcasses for days in the nest.

andie215 - - Cataglyphis

Beitrag

Just a quick update here. I have noticed a few egg clusters and there are a few larvae scattered about, probably about 5 - 8 of various sizes Again i can't tell if there are any between the two nest joints but there has been a dramatic increase in the protein taken back to the nest. I havent seen any empty cocoons in the rubbish heap or any bright orange young workers in the nest yet. Things are much slower than last year.

• My small colony have settled into their new nest now and are also taking small pieces of insects back, but not directly to the larvae. I'm also excited to see my first major, she is huge ... I think my colony has now reached 11 ants., which is an increase of 6 in about 7 months.For me, putting the colony in a y-tong nest at the beginning was a mistake and slowed the growth rate considerably as the queen lost many eggs, the conditions of a test tube are much better at least for the foundation per…

andie215 - - Cataglyphis

Beitrag

Well i haven't seen the eggs since i photographed them or any signs of larvae, but the ants are taking more food back to the nest. There hasn't really been an increase in activity out side of the nest either, but i am hoping that there are larvae in the spaces between the old and new nest. The ants were trying to fill the gap with wet sand so i helped them out and sealed the gap with plaster. Its so annoying not being able to see...

• Hi Marcel. The nest was designed for my M.barbarus which have outgrown it and the big spaces were for the grain stores. There is a tube in the top so i can ad water if needed. There is no exit from the top but you can see how it all works from the pic. There is some condensation inside so i have not added any water yet. The ants have used the tube leading to the arena and they have also taken in a small hover fly. 9.jpg This is how it was used for the Messors,,so untidy I am not using the red ce…

• I moved mine from their rg into a larger Crystacast Plaster nest last weekend and they have settled in well. Just raising the temps a few degrees was enough to persuade them to move. Moving the brood was my biggest concern but it all went well. newnest1.jpg newnest2.jpg newnest.jpg

• Re: Cataglyphis cf. desertorum

andie215 - - Cataglyphis

Beitrag

Thanks for all the replies I never conditioned my ants correctly for their winters break and i think this may have caused them to have a late breeding season. Saying that though, i don't seem to be the only keeper experiencing this. Thomas, the conditions you have are very much the same as mine except that i took away the heat mat. I only use a 100 wat red bulb now for heating during daytime and just room temps at night. The nest at the bottom is about 25c and the top 35c, and at night between 1…

andie215 - - Cataglyphis

Beitrag

Finally the first eggs i have spotted since the queen stopped laying in late January, earlier this year. It is really good to see she is laying again after a break of about 5 months. I have not made any changes except for taking the small heat pad away from the side of the nest a few weeks ago. I noticed last night that the ants had taken away a cricket, which previously they had been ignoring, so there may also be some small larvae i can’t see in the nest too. firstt-eggs-of-2012.jpg

andie215 - - Cataglyphis

Beitrag

Presently mine spend more time drinking normal water but also sugar water. They will take the occasional fly but they will take blata lateralis back to the nest where they seem to be storing the bodies. They have always done this but as i said somewhere, i think this is to make the tunnels more narrow perhaps.

• Just a small update on my small colony. The two medias seem to do most of the work nursing and this is perhaps why the brood is beginning to develop better than before. The Temps in the nest are about 30c in this heat wave we are having here in the UK and i need to keep them cooler or they may leave the nest. I have also noticed that the workers have been out more often, perhaps looking for somewhere cooler, or perhaps the test tube is getting to small. I think its time to give them something bi…

andie215 - - Cataglyphis

Beitrag

I noticed back in January that something was going wrong. All the larvae had stopped growing and were slowly disappearing , it appeared that they were not being fed or the ants were eating them. All the existing pupae hatched, and the queen stopped laying eggs around February, so it may be feasible that they are having a break even though i had never lowered the temps as i had bought them so late in the year. My situation does seem similar to yours Antic..

andie215 - - Cataglyphis

Beitrag

So in April i moved the colony into a bigger arena and made the nest bigger giving them an extra tier, if breeding continues as fast this year the ants would need the room. I modified an old dart frog vivarium 60 x 45 x 45 cm with a 55w dulux lighting and a 100w spot which i changed later to a 100w red heat lamp. P1010528-300x225.jpg However very little has happened since the change, there has been no brood and i think this it is because the colony did not have a winters break perhaps ? . The qu…

• I thought that the ants already in the colony were medias, but i agree that the new ant is a media and the others are only workers. Not sure what you meant about the queens side position ? but i was trying to get a better view of the unhatched pupae so she had tumbled in the test tube. Thanks Marcel

• After 38 days as a pupae, the first new addition has finally hatched and joined the colony. The new arrival has a much bigger head than the medias already in the colony but not as big as some majors i have seen pictures of. The pupae in the top left corner has been colouring up for about 4 days prior to hatching . I took this shot this morning only hours before the ant hatched. imminant1.jpg You can see the difference in head size, so is this a major ? firstmajor.jpg

• Übersetzung/Tranlation von/of Andies Text: Vor kurzem sind etliche Fliegenpuppen (Calliphora vomitoria) geschlüpft. Gestern Abend legte ich eine der frisch getöteten Fliegen gleich an den Eingang des Reagenzglases. Die Ameisen zogen sie direkt nach innen und benagten sie. Dies ist das erste Mal, das sie Proteine im Nest zu sich genommen haben. Und am nächsten Morgen lagen die Reste der Fliege außerhalb des Nests, dass meiste der Fliege war verspeist worden. fly.jpg edit: Hello Andie Thank's for …

• Hello all, i would like to share my experiences here also, but first i should apologize for it being in English. 7th Dec 11 My ants arrived on my birthday, what a treat, 1 queen, 4 medias and one larvae. They came in a small plastic box filled with tissue paper and I placed the box opened in the small arena I had ready with a 2 tier y-tong nest. The substrate consist of half forest chippings and white sand with the temperature about 22c . I have put a small heat pad against the nest to provide s…

andie215 - - Cataglyphis

Beitrag

There hasn't been any cocoons present now for at least 3 weeks and although there are larvae present, they are also disappearing. I can't see any eggs either and the appetite of the ants has also decreased. Perhaps they are feeding on the larvae, they are going somewhere ? The queen is still active and so are the ants with only a few deaths in the colony. I have changed the water facility as they bridge the milk bottle top with sand causing the water to leak out. I am now using a water filled te…

andie215 - - Cataglyphis

Beitrag

Thank you Frank. It just seems strange that the number of pupae have decrease by so many yet there are plenty of larvae still. Anyway ill treat as normal.